Saturday, June 15, 2019

Japanese Sweet Potato (Satsumaimo)




Japanese Sweet Potatoes (Satsumaimo) are generally grown by clipping a vine from an exiting plant, but they can also be grown by directly planting a store bought potato. I'm trying both methods. To plant using the clipping method, clip a foot or more of a vine. Cut off all the leaves from the vine, except a few at the very end and bury the rest leaving the leaves at the end exposed. From what I understand, everywhere a leaf was cut a sucker will grow in the ground and produce a potato. This is my first try, so I'll let you know how it goes. 

I planted a store bought potato that I thought was good. In about three weeks shouts started to pop up. I read it takes three or four to six months to produce, but I have no experience so I'll probably dig up the dirt gently in a few months to see how they are doing. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment