Thursday, June 6, 2019

Nasturtium

I recently discovered the Nasturtium plant and find it wonderful. The entire plant (leaves, flower and seeds) are edible. The leaves taste like a Japanese mustard called Karashi or a mild horse relish. The flowers have a similar, but milder taste, and the seeds taste peppery. The flowers are orange, yellow or red and beautiful in salads, the leaves can be added to a salad as well, but also adds great flavor to sandwiches. The seeds are sometimes called the poor man's capers. They can be pickled just like a caper, but I just eat them raw.  

I gather the seeds from plants around my neighborhood and just planted them directly. They grow easily and the flowers are so pretty, so I planted them all over. I cannot wait until the flowers bloom next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment