Friday, March 27, 2020

Celery (Propagating)

I planted this Celery plant in late October from a Celery core and once I use all the ribs from this stock I will plant the core again. So, if you use one stock of Celery a month and plant a new plant every month for five months, you will have an endless supply of fresh Celery by replanting the core of the stock you used last.
I place the core in water until I can plant it, but this is not necessary. The core can be planted immediately as long as it is watered well and kept in a shaded area until new leaf growth begins. Ensure the core is planted in new soil and preferably a different planter to minimize disease and nutrient depletion.

I cut all the ribs off except for the very center. This allows the plant to focus all its energy into developing new root growth. I bury the core in the soil to around where the white line is.

No comments:

Post a Comment