Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Today's Harvest (26 May) Japanese Sweet Potatoes (Satsumaimo)

I planted these slips in mid-December and decided to harvest them on 26 May, which makes them roughly 5 1/2 months old.
As I started to dig them out I noticed a lot of Potatoes bunched together, which indicates there were going to be a lot of Potatoes. 
I wanted to point out how lose the soil is. I filled half this container with mulch a year before and it completely broke down.  
My scale can only measure up to 2 kg so separated the Potatoes in two. This weighed 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs).
1.1 kg (2.5 lbs) 
Sweet Potatoes need to cure for 10-12 days, so I set them out in a cool dry place. Also, ensure the Potatoes do not touch each other.
I rejuvenated the soil and planted 10-12 slips. These Potatoes should be ready to be harvested in December.


2 comments:

  1. Hey there! just reaching out to let you know the sweet potato cuttings you gave me have already sent out roots! that happened way quicker than i was expecting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared, great to hear. How is everything else doing? I should have given you my email account so we can stay in contact "skipcowan@gmail.com". drop me a line if you wish. Curious to see your plants.

    ReplyDelete