Thursday, May 21, 2020

Air Pruning Method

Recently I've been watching a lot of YouTubers discuss grow bags and Air Pruning techniques and wanted to try the Air Pruning method. I had soil and landscaping fabric, so looked around and found some old laundry baskets and got to work. All I did was drill some holes towards the bottom of the baskets, lined them with landscaping fabric and filled them with soil. 

The theory is that when the roots hit the fabric and get exposed to the air they die, which will cause the plant to create more roots. The more roots a plant has the more nutrients it can absorb causing the plant to grow larger and healthier. 

If you recall I had about 75 Tomato seedlings. I planted 10-15 in a planter I built, which I will trim down to 8 plants, and planted 9 seedlings in these Air Pruning containers. This weekend I will transplant a few more seedlings in regular planters so we can see how they perform. Stay posted for updates and results.
(5/19) 
(Air Pruning Container) Soil 8 inches (21 cm) deep
(5/19) 
(Air Pruning Container) Soil 6 inches (15 cm) deep  
(5/20)
(Air Pruning Container) Soil 10 inches (26 cm) deep   
(5/14) 
(Planter) Soil 8 inches (21 cm) deep



No comments:

Post a Comment