Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Japanese Sweet Potato (Satsumaimo)

I got this Sweet Potato cutting from a farmer I met while walking my puppy a few days ago. The leaves looked similar to the Sweet Potatoes I grow, but pointer and purplish. I asked the farmer what it was and he said, white Satsumaimo. I grow purple Satsumaimo and white and purple Beni-imo of which their leaves are identical, but they are different from this type. I asked for a cutting and he sniped off a piece. I'm excited to see how this potato looks and tastes. The pot is small, but enough to get a few vines started and I can take more cuttings from them. You only need one cutting to grow a ton a year later. 

(4/21) Today I noticed one of my newly planted Sweet Potato (left) plants has a cute purple flower. As many folks already know, Sweet Potatoes are not a potato, but rather a sweet tuber (root) from a plant that is part of the Morning Glory flower family (right), which is why the flowers looks so similar.
Sweet Potatoes are easy to grow and the vines grow quickly, which are also eatable. Unfortunately, you need to wait 4-6 months to enjoy the tubers (Sweet Potatoes). But planting a new container every two months ensures you always have a crop ready to harvest. 
(5/12) The cuttings I got from my neighbor are growing well. In a few weeks I'll be able to take cuttings from this planter for transplant into a larger container.


No comments:

Post a Comment