Thursday, December 5, 2019

Red Leaf Lettuce (Sunny Lettuce)

(1 December) I have ten Lettuce plants outside, but do not know how well they will do through the cooler months, so I decided to try and grow Lettuce inside using Styrofoam cups. I cut a hole in the bottom of the top cup and filled it with potting soil and placed that cup in another to capture the water. I water them every morning and keep them near a window. Once the roots grow through the hole I will put the water and nutrients in the bottom cup because the Lettuce will probably be too big to effectively water it from the top, plus it may get messy.
I understand it takes about five weeks to mature and you can harvest leaves from them between five and 7 times. If this works out, I plan to plant many more and just grow them inside from now, because Okinawa is just too hot in the summer and too cool in the winter for a steady supply of Lettuce. I'll update my progress.



No comments:

Post a Comment