Friday, December 13, 2019

Japanese Sweet Potato (Beni Imo)

It has been over six months since I planted the first clipping and I decided to harvest. Just as a reminder, I planted a standard Japanese Sweet Potato from a store bought Potato, which had a purple skin, and harvested those about two weeks ago. You can check out that post.

Today's planter contained Potatoes I started from a clipping I got from a neighbor, so was not sure what type it was, but found out today. I have one more planter that I did not plant. It was taken over by the vines from this Planter. Those vines took over the third planter about two months after I planted the clipping, so will wait a few months before harvesting the third planter.

In the meantime, I will start a brand new planter from clippings I saved from today.
After I removed the vines I immediately saw this giant Potato quite close to the surface. I looks like a Beni Imo.
Beni Imo is the Okinawan Sweet Potato. There are white (yellow when cooked) and Purple. They are both delicious and generally sweeter than the standard Japanese Sweet Potato (Satsumaimo). Because I broke one of the Potatoes when I dug it up, I know I got the white type.


I only got two Potatoes, but both are quite large and weighed a total of 1,427 grams (3.1 pounds).

The largest Potato weighed 870 grams (1.9 pounds) and the other weighed 557 grams (1.2 pounds). It's cool to get such a large Potato, but how do I cook it? I would have preferred to get five smaller Potatoes, but I'm grateful for what nature provided.
Since it takes six months to grow Sweet Potatoes, I prepared a new planter and planted cuttings from the Beni Imo plant. The Beni Imo I got from this harvest was from one cutting, so this time I planted about ten cuttings in hopes of getting more Potatoes. We'll see in about six months.


No comments:

Post a Comment