Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Mango Tree (Transplanting)


It is mid-October and I decided to transplant my Kitsu Mango tree in the ground. I was nervous, because I've not had much success in the past, so I went to speak with a professional.

I was instructed to use soil specifically for Mango, Kiwi and other similar fruit trees, as well as add a plant food with high mineral content and fertilizer; however, I was cautioned not to use too much fertilizer, because a fertilizer with a high Nitrogen content can burn the roots and stunt or kill a young Mango tree. I was recommended to use a 5-1-1 fertilize content. The numbers represent the amount of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium, respectively. As the tree matures it will need more Phosphorus and Potassium to support flower and fruit generation, something in the range of 6-6-6 to 8-8-8.
I dug a hole about two feet (60cm) deep, which is perhaps deeper than necessary, but my property has a lot of clay and want to give the tree a chance to develop a strong root system. I filled to hole with 30 litters of soil and two handfuls of fertilizer and set the tree on top. I placed a handful of mineral mix on other side of the tree and added some more dirt.
I built a frame around the tree and filled it with mulch to keep the moister in.
Finally, I covered the entire tree with a fine nylon net to protect it against the wind and pests and have a 4mm water hose on top. The net is fine so the water gathers on top and drips in like rain drops. It has been 5 days since I planted the tree and it is doing well and actually growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment