Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Banana Harvesting

 
I prefer to harvest an entire bunch when the Bananas are still green and many have filled out. I can tell when my Bananas are ready when they fill out and the edges along the peel are almost gone. The Banana looks like someone has blown it up like a balloon.  
There is no precise science to harvesting Bananas by hand. It depends how the tree grows and what is surrounding it. By chance, this bunch grew over my back wall, so I could tie a rope around the bunch and use the tree itself to lower it down after I cut it.
From this point I could carry the bunch to my side yard to hand it.
This bunch had roughly 120 Bananas and weighed about 20 kg (44 lbs). I hung the bunch on my side yard balcony and will cut off a few Bananas at a time to let them ripen. The bunch hanging will remain fresh for a few weeks.

The Bananas on this tree were standard size compared to previous harvests. The yellow Bananas to the left are store bought and to the right are from my tree. The next test is to see how sweet they are. Stay tuned.
Okay it is 4 November and one Banana on the bunch hanging outside ripened quickly, so my wife and I tried it. It was firm and quite sweet. So pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment