Monday, April 1, 2024

Potato (Yellow)

 

  (Week 1)

had two yellow potatoes with three eyes each. I cut them up making six pieces. I planted them about six inches deep with the eyes facing up. Some folks let the pieces dry before planting, but I've never done that. I planted them on 29 January and got sprouts about a week later.

 (Week 2)
 (Week 3)
When I cut the potatoes up one eye on each potato did not have a lot of potato around it, so I planted these two pieces in the center. It took them a little longer to sprout because I do not think they had as much energy.  
 (Week 4)
I removed all the tomato sprouts. I think they were gifts from the birds.
 (Week 5)
To encourage the potatoes to grow larger, there should only be two or three stocks. If there are more, cut the stock about halfway, place it in water and transplant it as soon as you see spuds appear to grow more potatoes. 
 (Week 6)
 (Week 7)
One of the potato stocks flowered, but I could not find a berry. You can technically plant the berry (seed), but it will most likely not grow true and may likely taste differently. I would recommend cloning by planting the potato eye or cutting to ensure you get the quality and taste expected.
 (Week 8)
Because I did not plant these potatoes very deep, some potatoes are starting to pop out of the topsoil. I just covered them with more soil, so they do not turn green.
 (Week 9)
The plants are starting to dye off, so I will harvest them in about a week.
I got bored and decided to harvest the potatoes a little early.
I planted two 200 gram potatoes and got back 1.2 kg, which is not too bad.
I will let the potatoes cure a bit before storing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment