Friday, April 5, 2024

Mango Tree (Kitsu)

My Mango tree started to produce flower buds in late January. 
By early March the tree was in full bloom. At this stage I begin to spray the flowers with honey water to attract pollinators. 
Once I start to see small fruit appear, I cover the tree. The flowers should be pollinated by now and the tree needs to be protected from the elements, as well as pests.
I did not trim the tree last year, so it got quite tall. The green house I built last year got destroyed in a typhoon because I built it out of plastic poles. This year I used aluminum poles and greenhouse grade plastic. It is a little more than three meters tall. 
The tree has tons of fruit, but I will only keep one or two fruit per branch. I will select the healthiest looking fruit once they get a little larger. 
I have an infestation of caterpillars, but nothing I cannot fix quickly. 
Once I select the fruit I will keep, I will remove all the other fruit and tie the branch to the frame of the greenhouse, so the branch does not move much. Kitsu Mango get very large and take a long time to mature, so there is a lot of time for something to go wrong. They mature in late August to mid-September. 
Here is a candidate. I will remove the three little fruit to the left and clean off the branch. The branch holding the fruit is nice and red, which means it is healthy. There is one more fruit at the top of the branch. It does not look like it will make it, but I'll keep an eye on it. I'm okay with two fruit per branch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment