Monday, August 9, 2021

Persimmon (Kaki) Tree

This Persimmon (Kaki) tree has a long story, but in short I started growing it from seed in a pot and had to cut the taproot in order to remove it. I was sure it was going to die, but after transplanting it it has done well and thriving. I did not track when I planted the seed, but estimate it was roughly four years old. Persimmon trees usually take 3-5 years before they start producing fruit when grown from seed, but this little guy has gone through a lot, so expect it to take a little longer. 

4 comments:

  1. I have some persimmon seeds I'd like to propagate... For now I've been keeping them moist and cool, until I have enough information to not screw it up. How did you start your tree? Get the seed to sprout? Any tips are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tatyana, I did not do anything special. In fact, Persimmon has been the strongest tree I've grown. I planted the seeds a few years ago in a pot and forgot about it. By the time I noticed it was a few years old and the tap root spiraled around the inside of pot and I could not get it out so had to cut it. I was sure it was going to die, but I planted it anyway and the next year it sprouted leaves. It is now two years in the dirty and growing quickly. It takes 8-10 years to get fruit, but that's okay. By the way what kind of climate do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohio has the 4 seasons, we're zone 5 for most plants, with 90s in summer and snow in winter. I would grow this guy and any other exotic trees inside; I have a 4-season room dedicated mostly to plants, and in the summer I take them out to live on the porch so they can soak up the sunshine.

      Delete
  3. Excellent plan. I'm originally from PA, so understand your challenges. I go to a lot of farmer's markets here and see them selling Persimmon trees in small pots with fruit hanging off them, so know they do well. You may not get as many fruit as you want, but they do produce.

    ReplyDelete