Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Shiran (Bletilla Striata)

Shiran (Bletilla Striata) is a hardy and drought resistant ground orchid. It's a perennial that blooms in late spring or early summer. It belongs to the orchidaceae family and native to japan, China and Taiwan. 

I have a planter of Shiran plants and slowly breaking apart the rhizomes and planting them in my back yard. This is one I transplanted a few months ago. It will start generating new sprouts in a few months.

The rhizomes start popping out of the soil when it gets too crowded. I simply pull the rhizome up and snip the roots.
These were actually two rhizomes that I broke apart to create four.
I planted them is some potting soil and watered them well. I will let them grow until I see some roots come out of the bottom of the starter pot and then transplant them. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment