Saturday, January 18, 2020

Japanese Sweet Potato (Beni Imo)





These Japanese Sweet Potato (Beni Imo, white variety) grew from vines from another planter that overtook this plant about six months ago. At the time I was growing lettuce in the planter, but the vines from the other container took and I just left them.
Today when I was looking through the planter and picking out old leaves I noticed a Potato sticking out, so decided to harvest. 

Sweet Potatoes are delicate and can break easily, so I dig them out by hand. 
I got a few pretty nice sized Potatoes. Pretty good considering I did nothing.
Another. 
This is the total haul from the planter. There were some small tubers, but I put them back in the dirt to grow new Potatoes. I will set these outside in a cool place for 10-14 days to cure before eating or storing in my Potato bin.

(19 January) After I removed all the Potatoes, I added some trace elements, fresh organic matter and a little fertilizer. I took about 12 clippings from the vines I removed and planted them for a new crop. Sweet Potatoes can grow in the same soil for two or three years by adding trace elements, some fresh organic matter and fertilizer, but should be rotated after that to prevent or minimize potential diseases.
(26 January) The Sweet Potato clippings are growing well a week after planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment