Thursday, January 21, 2021

Japanese Sweet Potato (White Beni Imo)

Last May, I got a Sweet Potato cutting (slip) from a neighbor. I cut it in half and placed them in water until they grew roots. I normally do not place my slips in water to root, but rather plant them directly; however, not all the cuttings survive. Since I only had this one cutting, I wanted to enhance my chances of success and placed them in water to root before planting.
I planted them and they survived.
As the vines grew I took more cuttings and planted them.
I continued to take more cuttings and planting them.
In mid-August, I transplanted all the slips to a larger container.
In mid-January, I noticed a tuber sticking out of the soil and decided to harvest them.
I cut off all the vines at soil level and set them aside to make new slips.
I flipped over the container.
I sifted through the soil to find the tubers.
These are all the tubers I found. I replanted the smaller tubers.
I added fertilizer, nutrients and 10kg of new soil, and put it back in the container.
I made new slips from the vines I set aside and planted them directly.
I got 1.3kg (2.8 lbs) of tubers.
I placed the tubers in a cool dry place to cure for 10-14 days along with some other tubers I harvested a few days earlier.
These Sweet Potato vines (leaves) and tubers look different compared to the other Sweet Potato plants I grow. The left is the leaf and tuber from this harvest (White Beni Imo) and the right is the leaf and tuber from a White Satsumaimo. White Satsumaimo are not so sweet and can be used like a regular yellow potato. Purple Satsumaimo are sweet. I've not eaten the White Beni Imo yet and curious what it will taste like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment