Saturday, January 2, 2021

Japanese Sweet Potato (Beni Imo)

I planted two Beni Imo potatoes that started to grow slips. I usually plant slips and usually get one tuber for each slip I plant, so curious to see what I would get out of planting a tuber directly.
I decided to harvest the Beni Imo on New Years Day.
One Beni Imo planted on 14 July and the other on 16 July.
I cut all the vines at soil level and set them aside.
I layed down a plastic sheet and turned over the container. I usually see tubers at the bottom, so felt this was not going to be a good harvest.
My suspicions were confirmed. I planted two Beni Imo and got two Beni Imo. 
I added 10kg (22 lbs) of new soil, fertilizer and nutrients. The soil was a little too moist, so I added some more drainage holes. I cut 14 slips from the vines I set aside and planted them. I hope each of these slips develop a tuber.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment