Saturday, January 2, 2021

Daikon (Red)

(01/02) This will be the third type of Daikon Radish I've grown. I am currently growing the giant White Daikon Radish that can grow 12-18 inches (30-45 cm) long and weigh 5-6 pounds (2-3 kg). 
Previously I've grown the medium sized Red Daikon Radish that gets between 6-8 inches (15-20 cm) long. This type is a smaller verity that will mature in about 30 days and get about 2 to 2.5 inches (6-7 cm) long. I'm planting these a little past the recommended planting season, but the temperatures here will be in range for this radish to grow, so expect a good harvest. 
I planted them on 27 December and noticed sprouts today. Radishes are one of the fastest growing vegetables a gardener can grow.
On 3 January, I noticed a lot of seeds had sprouted. Many people will simply clip the excess sprouts, but I find that wasteful; instead, I gently dug them up, seperate the sprouts and replant them. I may lose a few if I damage the roots, but just a few compared to cutting them. I suspect I will get about 40 radishes. I checked them today, 5 January, and did not notice any that died. All seem to be doing well and growing quickly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment