Sunday, June 7, 2020

Biwa (Loquat) Tree

(6/1) Biwa (Loquat) trees. I planted these seeds a few months ago and they finally sprouted. Like Canistel seeds, Loquat seeds should be planted soon and not permitted to dry out. 
My research found that the fruit of Loquat grown from seed is not good to eat, but I went to a farmer's market last weekend where local farmers were selling trees, flowers and other items. I spoke with one farmer that was selling Loquat saplings grown from seed and he said they were fine to eat, but just takes longer to fruit (6-8 years) and may not grow true to the mother plant; however, I'm not worried about cross pollination, so suspect my fruit will be fine.

Loquat, or Biwa in Japanese, is some times called the Japanese plum. It is 1-2 inches (3-5 cm) long and plump orange when ripe. The flowers have a sweet aroma and can be smelled for quite a distance. The flavor is said to be a mixture of peach, citrus and mild mango.

No comments:

Post a Comment