Monday, September 30, 2019

Fall Planting in a Sub-tropical Climate


We had a pretty big typhoon 10-days ago that devastated many of my vegetables, but it gave me the opportunity to  begin a new fall crop. Remember, I am in a sub-tropical location, so many plants grow nearly year around. Here's what I have going on the end of September.
If you recall, I was growing strawberries in this tower, but re-purposed it for the below, which I grew from my own seed stock:
  • First Tier - Basil
  • Second Tier - Green Peppers 
  • Third Tier - Tomato
  • Fourth Tier - Lettuce
  • Fifth Tier - Tomato
  • Sixth Tier - Pineapple and some Lettuce


Cucumber (Top Right), Okawakame (Center), String Beans (Bottom Left).

In the front section I recharged the soil and planted Red Cucumbers (Moi) and Bitter Melon (Goya, Nigauri).


Tomatoes
Eggplant (Nasu) 


Green Peppers (Piman) 




Cilantro (Pakkuchi)

This is my Green Pepper plant from nearly five months ago. I was going to remove it, but found new peppers and flowers, so decided to leave it and give it same fertilizer and plant food. To the left I have a Red Lettuce plant and in the center a Garlic Clove (Niniku).
I put this small Red Lettuce plant in a bucket to hide it from my puppy, who loves lettuce. She can smell it, but hasn't found it YET.
I'm trying something new, Strawberry Guava. I bought these from the famer's market last week and like them, so saved some of the seeds and see how it goes.

Strawberry Guava

No comments:

Post a Comment