Saturday, September 28, 2019

Banana Bell (Banana Flower)

So, in one of my previous posts I explained the bell can be eaten and I would share how that was done. When the Banana bunch is finished producing, the branch between the last banana and bell will continue to grow. I let is grow for three or four weeks before I cut it off so it does not continue using energy that could go towards growing bigger bananas. Also, I leave only one banana on the last hand to drive the energy up the bunch. 


This is the bell. I will warn you that banana sap will leave a brown stain on any material that cannot be removed easily, so protect your counter top with paper towels and rub cooking oil on the counter top and your hands before you get started. The oil will prevent the sap from penetrating and can be washed off with soap and water. 
 
When you start to remove the pedals, you will see banana flowers. These can be eaten and many cultures cut them up and add them to stir fries, but the Stigma and Perianth (see diagram below) need to be removed for each flower since they are tough, which I find tedious, so do not use them.


After all the pedals and flowers are removed you will get to a solid core. This can be eaten raw in salads or in stir fries, but it is bitter. So, for many it is an acquired taste, like bitter melon (Goya).


No comments:

Post a Comment